Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cockroft Challenges Resolve of House Republican Caucus

Below is a letter that I sent to the House Republican Caucus yesterday voicing my concerns over our resolve and mission. I believe we must be here for the right reason! If not, then we are failing in our mission. Your feedback is welcome!



Members,

    I wanted to write out a few thoughts in result to our caucus discussions this afternoon on the income tax issue…

    Let me begin by saying that I respect and appreciate each one of you. Having these past 18 months to work with each of you and develop positive relationships has been an incredible experience. I also appreciate the help that so many of you have given me in my first year and a half as a legislator. I look forward to serving with you all for the duration of this year.

    There are a couple things however that have caused me great concern dealing with the mindset of our “conservative” caucus.

Thomas Jefferson once said, “The purpose of government is to enable the people of a nation to live in safety and happiness. Government exists for the interests of the governed, not for the governors.”

    There have been several instances in the past couple of weeks in our caucus meetings that the statement has been made about the political will of the members due to an election year. I personally take great offense at these kinds of statements. I ask each of you the question, “When did it become our job as politicians to worry about securing future elections for ourselves?” I believe that if we are each truly standing upon our principles and the conservative platform of the Republican Party, then we shouldn’t be worried about our next step, because we know that we stand upon the right things. Our founding Fathers never intended government to be set up for the benefit of government, rather for the good of the people.

    Members, I didn’t stand on the door steps of thousands of homes in 110 degree heat because it was easy. I didn’t do it because it was popular or might propel me into a particular status. It was based on conviction and a desire to serve and change our State for the betterment of our future. I was twenty-one years old when I ran for this seat. If you believe that this was the easy or the safe path, then you are sadly mistaken. I have had numerous people saying it couldn’t be done and was a waste of my time and money. It was the hardest point in my life that I have ever been through. If I had crumbled under all that pressure, I wouldn’t be here today. Many people still ask why I continued to press on and go against all odds. I tell them it’s because I know I was doing the right thing to do.

    This job is hard. This is a thankless job. I know we have pressures from every angle on this and other issues. However, I simply ask that you think about what you stand upon. Do you stand upon the Republican platform which is for lower taxes and smaller government, or are you so easily swayed by pressure and negative threats? Members, it wasn’t until early November of this last year (four months ago) that I had decided to run for re-election. I didn’t want to plan my next step in politics until I knew that I was here for the right reason. I believe that anyone who plans their political future can be easily compromised and swayed, so as to stay in office for another term. That’s not what government’s job is. Our job is to do what is right, no matter what, and let the people of our district decide if they want us there in the future. The question is this: “Are we here for the right reason?”   

    I humbly submit to you that if we are truly going to do what is right for our State and move us forward, we must stand together and stare down the opponent in the face of adversity. It is time to make a statement for all the rest of the Nation to hear. I want Oklahoma’s State government to be known as a lean, efficient, and accountable government. If we each do what we know is right and block everything else around us out, then that goal is not far off base.

    Once again, I submit this to you with a humble and respectful attitude, and thank you for your consideration.

God bless, 

Josh Cockroft
Oklahoma State Representative, District 27
2300 N. Lincoln BLVD - Room 315
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Office: (405) 557-7349 - EXT. 349

1 comment:

  1. Representative Cockroft:
    If I might humbly suggest you submit this letter to the local newspapers in your district. I hope they'll print it as you have captured the essence of what our Founding Fathers thought of "Government Service". Thank you for your thoughts and your service to your constituents.

    ReplyDelete